Tuesday, September 4, 2012

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today, my sweet son Jack Alexander was born.  I remember that day like it was yesterday and it is hard for me to believe my boy is already turning one.  There are so many moments about that day that I remember and so many little details that I never want to forget.




One year ago today...

I remember how it all started.  It was Saturday night, September 3, 2011.  Ed and I were discussing what we would get for dinner.  As we were chatting I grabbed my exercise ball to sit on and started bouncing.  I thought maybe the exercise ball would help me go into labor.  I was right.  Within moments of bouncing on the ball my water broke.

I remember the ride to the hospital.  It was around 7pm on Saturday night, so there wasn't much traffic. We listened to "Chicken Fried" by Zac Brown Band and I ate a banana.  In hindsight I wish I had eaten a lot more than just a banana.

I remember we watched Saturday Night Live in the labor room, but I don't remember who the host was or who the musical guest was.  I also remember that we watched whatever came on after SNL and what ever came on after that.  I don't remember what it was, I just remember thinking early Sunday morning TV is terrible.  Eventually we put the TV on the weather channel because there was nothing else worth watching.

I remember what contractions feel like.  Next time I won't wait so long to get the epidural.  I also remember what the epidural felt like.  It was wonderful!

I remember when Alyse, my nurse, told me it was time to start pushing.  It was around 4am.  I thought it was strange that she wanted me to start pushing before my doctor was even in the room.  She said that was standard protocol because pushing generally takes a while and the doctor would be there in plenty of time.  She also told me she had "caught" a baby once when the doc didn't make it in time and I guess that was supposed to make me feel better?!

I remember my doctor calmly telling me when to push and when to stop.  The best word I can think of to describe the delivery was calm.  It was really a peaceful and calm experience.  Everything went smoothly, just the way I hoped it would.

I remember I did not really know Jack was coming out.  I guess my epidural was doing a great job.  I just kept pushing like Dr. Dimino told me to and all of a sudden she handed me my baby.  As soon as she placed him on my chest I burst into tears.  I don't know where all of the tears came from, but I was sobbing.  I was shocked that my body just did this, overjoyed at how beautiful he was, and overwhelmed with all of the emotion I was feeling.

I remember that a few seconds after Jack was born, he was laying on my chest and he lifted his head and opened his eyes wide and looked right at me.  I was amazed, he absolutely looked at me like he knew exactly who I was.  I cried some more.

I remember I did not sleep a wink in the hospital.  I was wired.  I just had a baby.  Yes I had been up for more than 24 hours, and as much as my body may have needed it, my mind would not let me go to sleep!

I remember how good it felt to finally hold my son, and how happy I felt to see my husband hold our son as well.  He has brought us so much joy over the last year, and I get so excited thinking about the adventures still to come.  Mommy and Daddy love you more than we can ever put into words Jack, Happy Birthday!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment